Thursday, January 10, 2008

Etiquette at UTR

I arrived at Veselka Restaurant, 144 Second Avenue as a "walkup" without a reservation for the show Etiquette. It was then I learned that they were able to squeeze me in but this half-hour experience is for TWO people. Quickly, I went through my phone book and began texting and calling friends. Alas, no one was able to make time for Etiquette. It was encouraged that I go try to find someone! I really thought this would be quite easy in NYC. I was very excited and did not want to scare anyone so I thought of a couple strategies. 1. Make eye contact, then approach a person, tell then I have an extra free ticket to show just across the street. 2. Ask people if they have about thirty minutes to take part in a project that could change their life. 3. Or just point at my Under The Radar guide and ask people if they could come to this with me right there motioning to Veselka.
I tried all of these. I also disclosed it is not really "acting".
I must have talked to over forty people in twenty minutes. I was up and down the street, in a coffee shop, talking to a couple shop owners. I think I came off more weird than crazy. I was really confident that I would find a partner in the coffee shop but that is where I got the most random excuses. From “I am looking for a job”, “I have class in a few minutes”, “Is this a religious thing?”, “I bet you are going to ask me for money later” to a couple huffs to clenched fists where I thought I might get punched.
But then just when I was about to give up. I met Dorie. She was already wearing headphones but stopped her music to talk to me. I explained I came thousands of miles away to come to NY to experience this amazing communication project and I needed another person. She shrugged and walked with me towards Veselka.
Etiquette was incredible. I was in a public place saying words and thinking thoughts that I had never before. I felt moved by talking to the person across from me and listening to what was being said to me. I was moving as the voice on the head phone instructed me to do. I felt like I was performing yet this is foreshadowing something to come later in my life. Why had all those other people said no to me and Dorie said yes? As it ended I was saddened yet satisfied that I had completed this performance and wanted to take a bow. I strongly encourage you make a reservation if you have another person or just show up and hope to find a Dorie.
Wilson from Portland, Oregon.

No comments: