Monday, January 14, 2008

More to Learn

In Spite of Everything
The Suicide Kings Directed by Marc Bamuthi Joseph

It has been a while since I have stepped into a classroom and next time that I do I will think about this show. The Story- The Suicide Kings are a team of three poetry workshop teachers that go into school, perform their work and teach. The day after one of their workshops a student in one of the classes they taught killed his entire class, including his teacher and himself. The Suicide Kings are called in for question about what they said to they student and each of their backgrounds as well.

As dark as this piece is it is the most relevant to me knowing that at this very moment there are students in school all over the world that don’t feel safe due to violence.
I remember like it was yesterday, over ten years ago when the Columbine Tragedy happened. Growing up, I was lucky. I felt more invincible than safe from all the bomb threats in my hometown, my highschool–I played audience to suicide, killing and hate too.
Who is at fault? What can we do to help?
Seeing this show really opened my eyes to how young people are affected by the voice of people they know and people they don’t.
Make time to see this ! We all have more to learn.

In Spite of Everything is playing until January 20, 2008 at The Public Theatre.

Wilson visiting from Portland, Oregon – raised in N.J.

No comments: