Thursday, January 31, 2008

Éire go Brách - Abbey Theatre's Terminus

Now I wanted to see this play in part because I am of Irish descent.
I wear a Claddagh ring.
My son is named Declan.
I like green.
And this show is from The Abbey Theatre in Dublin.

But this show makes me want to apply for Irish citizenship.
(Full disclosure: I'd apply anyways, but I'm just sayin'.)

Three incredible actors stay in one solitary small platform each for the whole show. They speak in rhyming couplets that go back and forth bouncing and cascading throughout. As their stories progress, the narratives begin to intersect and crisscross. While the actors don't interact with each other directly, their emotions, yearnings, and desires certainly simmer with occasional explosions of revelations.

I have become jaded with theatre over the years. I get too analytical or picky and find that with many performances much of what I see is without depth. Not so with "Terminus." By the end I was weeping with both sorrow and joy. It is a fantastical tale full of demons and murder, dates gone wrong and vigilante justice, car chases and beatings. Sounds like a real crowd pleaser, doesn't it?

But here's the thing, Terminus is filled with so much humor, so much hope, and so much humanity that one leaves the play with a greater sense of being. While their journeys may end when the lights go out, you will be continuing the tale for long after.

Posted by Brian Costello
PICA
UTR Press Corps

No comments: